We are seeking a Legal Practice Assistant to join the tax team in our Kansas City office.
- We offer a friendly, relaxed, and collaborative office environment which embraces the use of technology to deliver exceptional service to clients.
- Our employees are equipped to work remotely during the ongoing pandemic and are currently working remotely at least every other week.
- Our legal practice assistants perform substantive, valuable work, and are critical to our client service mission.
- Our legal practice assistants are offered opportunities for training, career advancement and professional development, as well as excellent compensation and benefits.
- Our legal practice assistants are not required to track their time for billing purposes.
- Maintain and monitor files in an organized fashion including updating Firm’s document management system and legal software system.
- Identify and demonstrate a fundamental understanding of the financing documents that are related to standard bond transactions, including (but not limited to) bond indentures, bond resolutions/ordinance, loan agreements, official statements, and tax certificates and agreements.
- Identify and demonstrate a fundamental understanding of the Internal Revenue Code and Treasury Regulations that relate to bond transactions, including (but not limited to) sections that relate to basic structure of tax-advantaged financings, bond yield, and arbitrage rebate and yield reduction concepts, and use restrictions related to bond financed projects.
- Prepare initial drafts of simple tax documents for transactions (for example, due diligence requests, and tax certificates/agreements and compile supporting exhibits) for tax attorney review. Some initial research and review of internal resources is required to obtain necessary information for document drafting.
- Track, update and monitor financing transactions and other tasks for supervising tax attorneys.
- Review financing documents and prepare basic pre-issuance supporting tax documentation including bond yield computations, debt service schedules, amortization schedules, and a variety of other lower complexity computations and schedules (within Excel and DBC) with minimal oversight from other members of the tax compliance group for tax attorney review.
- Prepare initial drafts of certain tax forms (8038s, 8038-Gs, 8038-Ts and Form 990 – Schedule Ks) for review and signature by tax attorneys.
- Coordinate and track document delivery in an accurate and timely manner and assemble documents for signature and coordination of execution, if applicable.
- Interact with clients and other Firm attorneys and staff in a professional and courteous manner by phone, email, or correspondence.
- Perform other clerical duties which may include scanning, scheduling, answering calls, composing and typing routine correspondence, preparing slide decks, and reading and routing incoming mail.
- High attention to detail and accuracy of work.
- 4-year degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications: Word, Excel, Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Outlook.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work professionally and confidentially with a variety of personalities from all levels of an organization.
- Proven organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Independent, action-oriented thinker who will successfully undertake and complete projects and major tasks with limited supervision and work with other legal practice assistants as a team.
- Demonstrated interest in the legal or finance field.
• 3 or more years related experience.
• Document management system experience.
To apply for this opportunity and start your career with our firm, please provide a resume and cover letter.