Gilmore & Bell, P.C., one of the leading public finance law firms in the United States, is seeking an energetic and self-motivated individual to work full-time providing legal and financial support to the firm’s Tax and Analyst Services group as a Legal Practice Assistant in the firm’s Kansas City, Missouri office.
- The Practice Assistant will perform substantive, valuable work, and is critical to our client service mission.
- We are proud that we seamlessly moved all employees and attorneys to remote work in March 2020, and feedback regarding our quick response and continued flexibility during the ongoing pandemic has been overwhelmingly positive.
- We offer a friendly, relaxed, and collaborative environment which embraces the use of technology to deliver exceptional service to clients.
- Develop a fundamental understanding of the documents that are related to standard debt financing transactions, including bond indentures/resolutions/ordinances, loan agreements, official statements, and federal tax agreements.
- Develop a fundamental understanding of the Internal Revenue Code and Treasury Regulations that relate to debt financing transactions, including sections that relate to basic structure of tax-advantaged financings, bond yield, and arbitrage rebate and yield reduction concepts, and use restrictions related to tax-advantaged debt financed projects.
- Assist in the preparation of initial drafts of tax documents for transactions (for example, due diligence requests, and tax agreements and supporting exhibits).
- Track, update and monitor financing transactions and other tasks for supervising attorneys.
- Review financing documents and prepare supporting documentation including debt service schedules and related computations, and a variety of other schedules (within Excel and DBC) with minimal oversight.
- Prepare initial drafts of certain tax forms (IRS Series 8038 Forms and IRS Form 990 – Schedule Ks).
- Assemble documents for signature and coordination of execution, if applicable, and track document delivery in an accurate and timely manner.
- Maintain and monitor files in an organized fashion using the firm’s document management system.
- Interact with clients and other Firm attorneys and staff in a professional and courteous manner by phone, email, or correspondence.
- Perform other clerical duties which may include scanning, scheduling, answering calls, composing routine correspondence, preparing Power Point presentations, and reading and routing incoming mail.
- Independent, action-oriented thinker with ability to successfully undertake and complete projects with limited supervision while working within a team environment.
- High attention to detail and accuracy of work.
- Demonstrated ability to work professionally and confidentially with a variety of personalities from all levels of an organization.
- Proven organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Strong aptitude for math or business acumen.
- Superior oral and written communication skills.
- 4-year degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications: Word, Excel, Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Outlook.
- Demonstrated interest in the legal or finance field.
- 3 or more years related experience.
- Experience with Munex, DBC, or other financial software.
- Document management system experience.
To apply for this opportunity and start your career with our firm, please send a resume and cover letter.